08 June 2012

Chapter 54 The aftermath of the battle of Tan Ru

We survive the night without incident if you can call a constant artillery barrage with shrapnel whizzing through the trees and wondering just when the enemy, who by now must be really pissed off and have a giant headache, will come screaming over the hill at us with fixed bayonets.

Surprisingly I managed a few hours' sleep.  It just goes to show that dumb grunts can sleep anywhere.  Last night we carried out our normal routine.  That is, once down we sent out clearing patrols and stood too until nightfall.  The three guns were placed strategically around our little circle of pits.  Did I say pits?  We were just on the ground.  It may have been appropriate to dig in but all our gear was back at CHQ, a few hundred metres away.  We manned two guns during the night, that way we manage 6 hours sleep.  If we were attacked the third gun could easily be used to engage the enemy.  It was very unlikely that the enemy would surprise us.  The jungle was our friend at night.  If the enemy decided to come looking for us they would find it very difficult to move quietly and their sounds would telegraph their movements.

We were sitting ducks though.  We didn't have any claymores mines to break up enemy movement as these too were with our gear at CHQ. That left our small arm weapons and Wooly's M79.  We were no match for the enemy, I dunno why we were left there and not allowed to return to 3 platoon and CHQ.

Dawn, and it is eerily quiet.

Nuthin'

We wanted to go back and have a go at the enemy but this was impossible just by ourselves.  We were extremely frustrated and dejected when given the order to move back to CHQ and 3 platoon. We all felt it was important for us and what was left of 1 platoon to go back and take out the enemy.  But the CO 3RAR had a different plan.  He wanted Centurion tanks to assist in the bunker assault which 3RAR would carry out without us.

Charlie company 3RAR entered the bunker system two days later.  Two bloody days later!  The CO who was shot down during the battle waited for the tanks to arrive before taking on the system.  And guess what they found?  Nothing.  Nothing!  The enemy had all got away.  How's that for fighting the bloody war?  We couldn't believe it.  1 platoon had got a licking and we wanted to go in and sort the enemy out, not two days later, but at dawn the very next day - that's what we infantry soldiers do, assemble our resources and hit 'em hard, but not 3RAR apparently.  Oh they found a lot of blood and guts spread about inside the enemy camp, but no bodies.  They all got away while 3RAR sat on their arses waiting for the tanks.

The system was about 100 metres from the Song Rai.  It covered an area 350 by 200 metres.  It contained 32 bunkers with overhead protection.  It was estimated there were two companies of D445 plus a heavy weapons group - dug in. 

We never hit anything like this in our AO (Area of Operations) west of route 2.  But then again we dominated our AO.  How many times had we been in the Nui Dinhs?  The Land Clearing Teams? We covered the whole of our AO continuously from the mangrove swamps in the Rung Sat in the south to the Courteney Rubber in the north, and everywhere in between.  We came across  many bunker systems and destroyed them and often hitting the caretaker teams. What had they been doing in the area east of Route 2?  Nothing, so it seems, and we come over to give them a hand and we pay the price for their lack of domination of their AO.  

Bastards!

1 platoon got hit pretty bad, and there were other losses as well.  The CO of 3RAR, who was the operational commander, was trundling around in his Sioux helicopter over the battle area.  He got too close to the bunker system and the chopper took a few hits and had to ditch.  How stupid is that?  Who did he think he was, getting so close to the battle area, General Patton?  In effect he hindered the ability of the Bushrangers and the artillery to attack the enemy because his chopper was in the way.  On what grounds could he justify getting so close?  Sheesh!

Do I sound pissed off?  You betcha!

It seems our location on the edge of the bunker system caused a  few problems for the Bushrangers, maybe we should have disengaged from the enemy a lot earlier and let them get on with it.  We stayed close to the enemy so that they had to deploy some resources to keep us at bay thus taking some heat off  1 platoon.  This meant we had to indicate where we were to the Bushrangers by smoke grenades so that they could brass up the area between 1 platoon and us - that's where the enemy were.  We started to run out of smoke grenades.  The Bushrangers are prepared for this and carry bags of smoke grenades which they dropped to us.  But the enemy ended up with some smoke grenades and started popping smoke which caused the confusion when the Dustoff arrived.  You will recall that I heard Barry on the radio calling the Dustoff to 'come back'.  It seems they failed to follow the simple procedure of identifying the colour of the smoke they see and have 1 platoon confirm the colour they threw.  This didn't happen and the chopper drifted over towards the smoke the enemy threw.  The Dustoff got hit pretty hard by small arms fire, seriously wounding one of the crewmen who later died of wounds.

1 platoon were pinned down for a long time.  Both machine gunners closest to the enemy had their weapons rendered inoperable by incoming fire.  Yogi told me that there was a line of muzzle flashes all across his front when the contact started.  The contact was initiated by 1 platoon who surprised the enemy.  Yogi got a stoppage at one stage.  His gun stopped working due to a misfeed.  We practice a drill to get the gun working, but it requires you to cock the weapon, raise up and clear the feed plate.  Yogi said there was no way he was going to to get up on his knees so he rolled over onto his back and tried to clear the gun with it held up above him.  He succeeded in clearing the stoppage but not before  some hot cartridges fell onto his chest and "burnt the fuck out of him!"

Not far from Yogi was Paul B.  His gun got shot up as well.  He got hit by a satchel charge in the guts and a gunshot wound to the thigh.  After the platoon disengaged from the enemy by fire and movement, he walked to the evacuation APC when Assault Pioneer platoon from 3 RAR came to them late in the afternoon.  How's that for a tough bastard?

In the thick of the battle Lex A was not so lucky.  As the battle was raging very fiercely, Lex A exposed himself to enemy fire when he threw a grenade.  A few moments later he threw another grenade from exactly the same position and he was fatally wounded in the neck by small arms fire.

Eight members of 1 platoon were wounded.  In addition, one member of Assault Pioneer platoon was wounded during the evacuation.

At the end of the battle, friendly casualties were...

31 March 1971

KIA
1201945 Lex Adams
A111550 Alan Bloxsom (9Sqn)

WIA
1735670 T Elliott
2792501 P Bateman
2794514 G Missingham
218937 K Brown
218886 M Price
3790851 A Povey
1202328 P Wood
1736448 D Horrigan
 44939 C Fryc (3RAR)

A few days later Alpha company had a BBQ at Vung Tau with 9 Sqn where we all got pissed together and talked about the battle.  I noticed that the boss of 1 platoon was in animated discussion with one particular fellow from 9 Sqn.  I guessed that he was one of the Bushranger pilots.  A little later I went up to him and introduced myself.  "Hi, I was the sig, callsign Five Two."  I held my hand out to shake his.

With a beaming smile he took my hand and said, "Ah, Five Two, I was Bushranger 77."  We talked shit for a couple of minutes about how they nearly brassed us up and the problem with the smoke grenades; and then I asked him if he remembered my calling him up to enquire if he was firing rockets.  I mentioned how many of us thought the enemy were using mortars.

He patted me on the back and said, "Yeah, I remember hearing that squeaky little voice of yours on the radio."

I should have decked him then and there.

16 comments:

1735099 said...

Cav
I've just finished reading "Fighting to the Finish" - the official account 1968-1975. These contacts are described. When I get time, I'll dig them out and email them to you.

cav said...

Bewdy 1735099, this chapter was from us blokes on the ground.

I have copies of reports from 3RAR, our CO and 1 Pl commander on this battle but I only mention stuff that I witnessed or was related to me by some of my mates.

There were some errors, particularly in the 3RAR report. For example, they report us as being 400 metres away from the bunker system; but we were right on the edge of it.

The 3 RAR report also mentions the enemy had mortars but I have not included this as none hit us although there was confusion over the rockets fired from the Bushrangers.

Although I am relying on memory I know it will not always be accurate and that stories will differ from blokes to blokes.

One thing I do know is not to put weight on one version of events over another.

I am also using a book 'Second to None' written by 2RAR CO John Church (I keep referring to him as Johnny Three Fingers)to jog my memory. Without being too critical, there are errors there too where platoons and commanders are misnamed and on one instance in particular I talk about in chapter 45 where Mick and I use the machine gun to fire through the centre of our ambush. The CO refers to this contact in his book and mentions the enemy walking through the centre of our ambush and he is critical of our ambushing technique and mentions Mick by name. The CO was wrong and Mick is not around to defend himself.

After noting several references that differ from my memory about events I witnessed I would now never rely on any version of events 100%.

I just finished reading a book from a bloke in 3 platoon and while he describes some events very well I know that my version of the same events are different.

I can only write about things from my perspective and my biggest problem is time sequencing - I know my story may not be set out in the same way that events actually occurred.

Still, I'd like to see the official version of the battle in the book.

Thanks for taking an interest in my writing 1735099. It was you who spurred me on to do some writing - so keep reading to see if I really do survive :-)

Hosko said...

Cav to help the uneducated perhaps the little things like the night spent on the hill did you dig in? Were you on 100% stand to all night?
Were listening post set over night etc?
I don't know these little things could help the reader understand that you did not just park yourselve behind the biggest tree and pray but battlefeild routine etc was all part of being at the sharp end.
Only a suggestion mate ?
It is riveting reading as it is but a little more light on a soldiers routine might add value to the reader. Did the Platoon Sgt come by with a hot drink a chat and tuck you in at night like I used to do with my boys?
Hosko

cav said...

Fair point Hosko, I may rejig it a bit.

We were actually travelling quite light and we didn't have our packs with us - they were back with CHQ because we had to move quickly in support of 1 platoon.

So we couldn't dig in and being so close to the enemy it would have given our location away although they would have known we occupy the high ground.

So there we were in basic order hiding behind the trees as you say. No sleeping gear and very little food or water.

You can understand now why we were pissed off - we were left there like shags on a rock.

At night of course the jungle is your friend - we would have heard them coming and if they only knew there was only 24 of us they would have been right over the top of us.

We were very lucky.

OK you've convinced me I'll do a rewrite.

Hosko said...

Good stuff Cav, gives me a greater feel for it.
No criticism from me.
I take it your Plat Sgt did not tuck you in?
Kind Regards
Hosko

Anonymous said...

He only tucked in the good lookin ones Hosko.
Hence, Cav missed out!!
GymBob

Anonymous said...

Goodday Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate,
Can't help it, I'm enjoying reading your shit blog!!!!! Why, dunno???? Try to reply on the blog but I can't make it work. Anyway you should know I never felt so safe as when I was transferred to 2RAR from ARU. Just follow Don Tate's story about d&e plt and 1ARU.. History says no Aust Soldiers went into the Long Hai's after June 1970 but 8 of us were on top spying with a big thing called a starlight scope in early January 1971.
I remember that day at the end of March 1971. I remember hearing the firefight starting and then a heavy slow MG and thinking JESUS! I said to Mal Ireland what next? He had started adjusting his webbing and radio and said, "I reckon pack a bit in your bumpack." Good advice and I did and then it came, move. Walking, then faster, then running and tearing shirt sleeves and small cuts on the backs of hands, then pull up and throw smoke as choppers were around. The noise in front was phenomenal. Someone yelled throw smoke and I was last and pulled the pin and threw the smoke and fucking nothing. I remember standing looking and Mick came running yelling, throw the smoke and was gone again, I'm staring and eventually woke up and pulled and threw and it went off this time. I suppose it was soon after we were off again. You say about a bag of smoke too far away. I was throwing smoke up the back and sometime Tiny came up and said I need a volunteer Solly and we went down and got a bag of smoke and came back. I think Tiny said there were a couple of Gooks but I really don't know whether I'm dreaming writing this as it's a vague memory. I don't know what or where but at sometime we got blasted up the back and Bill White took off saying "fuck this" but didn't go very far which was very funny. Was that the Yank gunships or Charlie? The rockets were leaving the gunships from just behind me, the miniguns were full on as they went over and I was so deaf that at one stage I looked up and a chopper was hovering nearly above me and I could only just hear it. (I had ringing in my ears already from a mine explosion in ARU). The miniguns were the hugest tearing roar sound, nothing like a machine gun sound. The choppers were then gone past, streaming smoke and (not) flame but like burning, underneath. I'm with you about not going in next day, and the 3RAR CO was a fuckwit, and I know some of the 3 platoon blokes and they have never got over not being allowed to go in and help 1plt as evidently they could have. All I know is Tiny is the greatest. Anyway, carry on.

Solly

cav said...

Solly, you dickhead!

How can Tiny be your hero when he refers to you as The Hobbit?

And what's with YOU telling us how much of a hero YOU were.

This is MY STORY and I AM THE HERO in it.

Got that?

Sheesh, bloody 7 section blokes!

Bob Golley said...

Come across the site just browsing the net.

Reading chapter 54 I realized that it sounded familiar. I was the left hand side door gunner on Brushranger 72 during the incident. It was a long day with many rearms.

What was even more surprising is that one of your wounded, C Fry and I were in the same year in High School. We met up in around June of that year after my RTA. We had a good talk about the contact.

Bob Golley
Door Gunner
RAAF 9SQN
Vietnam 1970/71

cav said...

Bewdy Bob

Bob Wood said...

Bob Wood, 7 Platoon Charlie Coy 3 RAR 1971. Mate we were as pissed off as you guys. We were sitting up on that bloody hill listening to the fighting and wanted to get down there. They nearly had a mutiny on their hands that night. We were told no lights and silence. So we lit bonfires and yahoo'ed as much as we could. We hoped that if we couldn't get to you, at least announcing our presence could help take the heat off you. Sorry mate! Wished we could have helped
bob.wood71@hotmail.com

cav said...

Thanks Bob, I dunno how a commander, knowing that the enemy is there somewhere, puts in a blocking force and when we made contact with them he takes THREE DAYS to do something about it.

I think we were very lucky that day that the casualties were light given the enemy force we encountered.

I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences in Vietnam.

Anonymous said...

After the 2RAR Platoon was hit the #RAR Assault Pioneers were sent in by APC. After crossing the Song Rai we met up with the wounded and unfortunately could see across the river the @RAR guy dying not a good site when only been in country for a few weeks.
2rar were right on the edge of the bunker system and we came in and took their positions whilst the wounded were withdrawn from 2RAR. We were attacked by the enemy with small arms fire and morters. Overall this all lasted about 2 hrs until we withdrew back across to the other side of the Song Rai

Tjs said...

Dont forget there where two sappers with you at this contact on the song rai,and i can definitely tell you the enemy had mortas,when your on the receiving end you don't readily forget.we might not have been up the pointy end of the fighting,but did what we could to support,gave up our amo when called for ,stayed with lex trying to encourage him,helped get him to the dust off chopper,helped carry the wounded assault pioneer across the river on a stretcher chest high in water,on the hill that night asked to dig in with nothing,maybee had one shovel between us, some digger handed us two grenades each ,stand to allnight waiting for counter attack.my thanks to the bravery of the diggers from 1 platoon especially, and all involved, I asked one guy that was wounded in the shoulder what he did then,his answer, swaped arms and kept firing .Thanks again for saving my rear end.

Tjs said...

Would like to make contact with you, to tell my account of the contact.

cav said...

Thanks for your comments TJS

Lemme know your email address to me at iancavanough@gmail.com and I'll send you the whole book in ebook and pdf format

I'd also like to hear about your story and be able to post it here on the blog.

Cheers
Cav